Narrabri Old Gaol and Museum
2 Bowen Street, Narrabri 2390
The Narrabri Old Gaol Museum is currently Closed due to current health advice on social distancing, please contact the business for the most up to date information regarding opening times and services.
Narrabri’s Old Gaol is part of an impressive complex of colonial government buildings which also includes the Office of the Court of Petty Sessions and the Court House.
The architect, James Barnet, also designed the Sydney General Post Office. The gaol opened in September 1882 and operated as such for exactly 100 years. It now provides an interesting insight to how things were in the past. The ‘Dalway Collection’ donated by Marriot Dalway is, in itself, reason alone to visit the museum.
Members of the Narrabri Historical Society, who run the Old Gaol Heritage Centre, have indexed over 30,000 entries in its family history section.
Tours of the town starting or ending with a visit to the museum can be arranged and are hosted by the members of the Historical Society. (A guide from the Narrabri Historical Society can hop aboard your coach for a small cost).
The Old Gaol Museum is centrally located in the centre of town just a block away from Maitland Street.