Camboon Cattle Station
Defence Road, Castle Creek 4715
The largest privately held cattle station in the Banana Shire, Camboon has always had a reputation for being a mover and shaker on the region’s event calendar. At almost 34,500 hectares (345 km2), the property blankets vast open plains and wetlands.
Once the site of the annual picnic races and gala ball, the station and its fledgling township of 62, were a drawcard for the many graziers of the district during the early years. So popular was the event, in 1908 it won a spot on the prestigious Dawson Amateur Picnic Race Club circuit and quickly became a highlight of the program.
However, despite its important role as a social hub and commercial link for the surrounding communities, Camboon township failed to flourish. In 1980, 106 years after settlement, the town lost its official status and its streets and buildings reverted back to the property.
The setback didn’t stop its owners from carrying on their social traditions though. The Camboon Campdraft is a ‘must do’ event for those who love the thrills and spills of man against beast, dust covered boots and typically laconic humour.