Newcastle Art Gallery
1 Laman Street, Newcastle 2300
Newcastle Art Gallery was opened by Queen Elizabeth II in March 1977 as the nation’s first purpose-built regional gallery. The Gallery is now nationally recognised for having one of the finest public collections in Australia.
Founded on a 1945 bequest from Dr Roland Pope comprised of almost 200 major Australian paintings, the Gallery today has more than 6,700 works. Its collection continues to grow through the support of the Newcastle Art Gallery Foundation, the Newcastle Art Gallery Society, and the benefaction of countless individuals, artists and companies.
Key artists include Arthur Boyd, David Boyd, Rupert Bunny, Judy Cassab, Grace Cossington-Smith, John Coburn, William Dobell, Donald Friend, Emily Kame Kgnwarreye, Margaret Olley, Margaret Preston, Lloyd Rees, Brett Whiteley, as well as extensive Indigenous art and Japanese ceramics sub-collections.
‘Black Totem II’, one of only two large sculptures ever produced by the late Australian artist, Brett Whiteley stands 11 metres high in the Gallery forecourt, and John Olsen’s ceiling painting ‘The sea sun of five bells’ 1964 is on permanent display inside.